Safeguarding information for Nanpean School
Safeguarding is everybody’s responsibility
Nanpean School is committed to providing the highest standards in relation to protecting and safeguarding the children entrusted to our care.
We will support all children by:
- Promoting a caring, safe and positive environment within the school
- Encouraging self-esteem and self-assertiveness
- Effectively tackling bullying and harassment
- Promoting all aspects of the Equality Act 2010
We have an expectation that all staff and visitors to our school behave in a way which ensures our children are safeguarded at all times. This expectation involves a duty for any safeguarding concerns to be reported to the Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL) or Deputy Designated Safeguarding Leads (DDSL’s).
If, at any time, you are concerned about the safety and welfare of any child, then please contact Nanpean School on 01726 822447, and ask to speak to any of the named persons below.
Mr M Nicholls (Headteacher) – Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL)
Miss C Morton (Assistant Headteacher) – Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead (DDSL)
Miss S Morrison (SENDCo) – Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead (DDSL)
Mr M Barritt (Senior Leader / Curriculum Lead) – Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead (DDSL)
Our Safeguarding Governor is Mrs L Watts.
Everyone working with our children, their parents and carers should be aware that:
- Their role is to listen and note carefully any observations which could indicate any form of abuse or maltreatment.
- They should not attempt to investigate once the initial concern is raised.
- They should involve the Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL) or, in their absence a Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead (DDSL), immediately.
- Disclosures of abuse or harm from children may be made at any time and must be listened to and recorded using the school system (CPOMS).
- If there are any concerns about a member of staff, this must be shared with the Head Teacher, or with the LADO.
Our school is part of the Operation Encompass scheme.
We work alongside many agencies to ensure best practice and continual support for children. An example of this is our work in partnership with Devon and Cornwall Police through the Operation Encompass initiative.
Operation Encompass is the reporting to schools, prior to the start of the next school day, when a child or young person has experienced any domestic abuse.
Operation Encompass will ensure that a member of school staff, our Designated Safeguarding Lead, is trained to allow them to liaise with the police and to use the information that has been shared, in confidence, while ensuring that the school is able to make provision for possible difficulties experienced by children, or their families, who have experienced a domestic abuse incident.
The Operation Encompass information is stored in line with all other confidential safeguarding and child protection information.
At Nanpean School, we are keen to offer the best support possible to all our pupils and we believe this initiative to be extremely beneficial for this purpose.
The information below includes a variety of links which are used in staff training, often in the form of leaflets. This could also be useful to parents, hence they are included here for reference.
- SafeguardingCP Policy Addendum NCPS.pdf
- Allegations against Staff Policy 2021 NCPS.docx.pdf
- Peer on Peer Abuse Policy NCPS 2021.pdf