Indoor Football Tournament

25th February 2016
On Thursday 25th February, Mr. Tonkin and the Year 5/6 football team travelled to Polkyth Leisure Centre for the annual Clay's Indoor competition. This was the first time the team had played together this season and, for a lot of the team, the first time they had played indoor football at all. Our first match was against Bugle 'B'. From the start, Nanpean played really well and had all of the chances. We won the match 2-0 with two well taken goals from Lewis Rouse. After such a positive start, confidence was high going into the second match against Luxulyan. Again, Nanpean dominated possession and had lots of chances. The Luxulyan goalkeeper made a string of great saves and when we missed a penalty, it felt as if we were going to miss out on a deserved win. However, two late goals from Lewis and Ryley Hoole meant we secured another 2-0 victory! It was a great start; Ruby Tibbles had kept two clean sheets, Riley Udy was a cool head at the back, Lewis Rouse and Joseph Edmonds were full of energy in midfield and Ryley Hoole was a constant threat up front. The next game was a tougher test. St. Dennis scored an early goal and as we tried to get back into the match they scored a further three goals to win, somewhat flatteringly, 4-0. Our fourth game came against eventual tournament winners Roche. After a tight start, Roche began to get on top and take their chances. Lewis scored a well-placed penalty for us, but it couldn't stop us from slipping to a 4-1 defeat. Our two wins and two defeats meant our final game against Bugle 'A' was effectively a third-place playoff. We knew that a win or draw would ensure we would finish in third position above our final opponents. Bugle got off to a flying start when a clearance from their defence deceived everybody and ended up in the back of our net. To our credit, the team kept trying their best and played some good passing football. We had many chances and the Bugle keeper was making many good saves. With time ticking out, Lewis beat two Bugle defenders and delivered a cross that Ryley Hoole calmly stroked home to secure a deserved draw and a third place finish. The team were really pleased with their performance and impressive results- especially as these were our first games of season and our team, made up of mostly Year 5s, were competing against some sides of entirely Year 6 children. The whole team played really well throughout the tournament and are rightly proud of their performance. More pleasingly, the children played with a fantastic spirit and sporting attitude in all of their games- well done team! A big thank you to all parents/ families that helped with transport and support of the team.